Mmmmm. Warm, sweet pineapple with fresh homemade ice cream is the perfect finish to the day. I pulled this recipe from Vegan Dad and tweaked the ice cream making, mainly because I don’t have an ice cream machine and did it the old fashion way-putting it into my freezer then taking it out and stirring it every 20-minutes for two hours : )
Plus, I added a fine layer of chocolate to the ice cream, just because. Here’s the altered recipe from Vegan Dad.
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c chocolate chips, melted
- 1 pineapple
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime
1. Trim lemon grass stalks and slice lengthwise down the centre. Bruise the stalks by bashing them with a rolling pin, then cut into whatever size will fit into your saucepan. Add coconut milk, sugar, and salt and place over medium heat. Bring it to just bubbling, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 mins, or until lemongrass is wilted and translucent.
2. Strain coconut mixture through a fine sieve to remove lemongrass. If needed, add more coconut milk or soy milk to make 3 cups. Return to saucepan over medium heat.
3. Whisk cornstarch or arrowroot powder into the 1 cup of soy milk to dissolve, then whisk into coconut milk mixture. Bring to just bubbling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Let mixture fully cool in the fridge for 45 minutes. Then use your ice cream machine or do it by hand, like I did. The method: once cool, stir with a whisk then put in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Take it out and whip it vigeourisly with a whisk to crush all the small ice crystals. Put it back in for 20-30 minutes and repeat several times over a 2-hour period. You’ll have to switch to a wooden spoon eventually. When it’s a little firmer than soft serve, you’ll want to drizzle in the melted chips (I use a double boiler to melt it down). Then put it back in the freezer and next time you stir it, the sweet chocolate chips will find a hidden place in the ice cream you can later find with your spoon!
1. Trim and core the pineapple and cut into 1/2″ chunks.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add margarine and when melted, add pineapple. Cook for about 15 mins, stirring regularly, or until the pineapple begins to lightly brown. (The pineapple will release its juice, that will cook down, and then the pineapple will start to brown up.)
3. Add sugar and lime juice to the pan and cook/stir for 1 min, making sure the pineapple is nicely glazed. Serve warm with the ice cream.