The Amazing Dough
3 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon instant or Rapid Rise yeast
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- Combine flour, salt, yeast, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in bowl of stand mixer (see *note for mixer-free version). Whisk to combine. Add water to mixer and mix on medium speed until it comes together and no dry flour remains. Increase speed to medium-high and mix until the dough is stretchy and smooth, about 6 minutes. The dough should stick to the bottom of the bowl but pull away from the sides.
- Pour remaining olive oil into rimmed baking sheet and spread over entire inner surface with hands. Transfer dough to 13- by 18-inch rimmed baking sheet and rub top surface with oil until thoroughly coated. Cover with baking sheet with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature until dough has spread out to touch nearly each rim of baking sheet, about 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before baking, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 550°F. Carefully remove plastic wrap from pizza dough. Using oiled hands and being as gentle as possible to maintain air bubbles, push and stretch the dough into the corners of the pan by pressing out from the center and lifting each corner and stretching it beyond the edge of the pan. It should pull back until the pan is just filled with dough.
1 8-ounce package tempeh
½ c tamari or soy sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
3 tbs maple syrup
¼ c water
Canola oil for frying
- Cut tempeh into strips and steam for 10-minutes
- Meanwhile, combine tamari, smoke, syrup, and water and mix well.
- Place the tempeh in the marinade, let sit for at least 10-minutes.
- Add canola to pan and fry tempeh about 5-minutes each side, while pouring a little marinade on to caramelize until crispy.
1/3 cup pineapple tidbits
2 cups spinach, chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
3 cups Daiya mozzarella cheese
- Cook the onions in the tempeh “grease” until blackened and crispy.
- Spread 1 cup of cheese across the dough, then layer spinach, pineapple, bacon, onion, and basil. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Dough Note: To make without a stand mixer, combine flour, salt, yeast, and olive oil in a large bowl. Whisk to combine, then add water. stir together vigorously with a wooden spoon until homogeneous, about 3 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to 15. Continue with step 2 as directed.